Job Stress and Mental Illness
Even your “dream job” can tangle you up with meetings, deadlines, job insecurity, toxic relationships, and sleepless nights. This can affect the quality of your life and eventually your health. Occupational responsibilities and job stressors can often lead to mental problems like depression, anxiety, and PTSD just to name a few.
These common mental problems can sometimes accelerate the onset of serious health issues like heart diseases, such as myocardial infarction or stroke. Therefore, rather than succumbing to a mental disturbance at work, it’s wise to reach out for help.
Common mental illnesses caused due to work stress
Anxiety at work due to stress is a common scenario these days. It is due to the lack of control on one’s thought processes. Studies have shown that meeting deadlines and targets are the major causes of anxiety. Therefore, always promise within your limits and finish it to avoid any episodes of such attacks. Be the man of your words at work and in life.
If you are bogged down by an anxious moment, then it’s okay to reach out to your corporate counselor for help, if not then try online counseling therapies.
Depression is often mistaken for sadness. It is much more than simply feeling unhappy for a couple of days. It is when you feel sad persistently for weeks or months and this might affect the health negatively.
There are internal and external causes of work-related depression and they are:
- Wrong-fit role.
- Financial struggles.
- Ethical discomfort at the workplace.
- Family responsibilities.
- Judgemental colleagues.
- Poor guidance at work.
- Uncooperative management team.
- Poor working conditions.
- Unclear project objective.
- Demotivating work environment.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder is experienced by one after a traumatic event that has occurred in the past. It is one of the drawbacks some faces after the event. PTSD at work can be difficult to manage but if you know your PTSD-related stress and symptoms, then managing it is not that difficult.
The most successful organizations put their employees first, and that’s what google did. The company understands the minuses that comes along with working there, therefore, they provide their soldiers with insightful weapons to fight it.
Along with creative and welcoming working environment, Google offers “Zen-centric” named classes to employees like Meditation 101, Search Inside Yourself, and Mindfulness which is based on stress reduction to support stressed out employees and encourage meditation for peaceful mind.
It should be no surprise that Google pioneered this, but other companies are not too far along. App development agency “Appster” also offers free meals and rides to work to minimize the work-stress level of their employees.
What can you do about it?
Fortunately, there are numerous ways to manage stress and illness related to work. Some of them are given below:
- Reach out to a qualified psychologist who is an expert in dealing with such issues. A mental health counselor can help you point out the causes of the stress and help you formulate appropriate coping strategies.
- Ask help from friends and family. There is a reason why they are called your “loved ones”. If you seek help from them then they will definitely be there for you and will understand and want to help you.
According to recent study, emotional load sharing with loved ones is a sure way to reduce the stress of the everyday.
- Follow good relaxation techniques and a healthy lifestyle. But if you find yourself perpetually hanging on an emotional roller-coaster because of the work stress, here are few things that you can do at home:
- Exercise or practice yoga
Physical exercises lower the cortisol and adrenaline (body’s stress hormones) level and releases the feel-good hormones (endorphins) which elevate your mood.
Practice mindfulness meditation. This form of meditation focuses on breathing, paying attention to the present instead of the past or future, and easing of the tension in the mind.
- Choose the right food
Stick to foods that helps you reduce stress, some of them are: leafy greens, salmon, and black beans.
4. When the entire world is digitalizing why should healthcare fold their hands right? There are online therapy sessions delivering mental health counseling via the internet. It is also known as e-therapy, internet therapy, distance therapy, and web therapy. It works via mediums such as apps for texting, video chatting, voice messaging, audio messaging and watsapping. We here at TalkADoc provide you with such a service. We aim to help individuals stay on top of their health and access Healthcare professionals anywhere, anytime. Try us!+